It is the primary mission of the Transportation Department to safely and efficiently transport the students of the Milton-Freewater Unified School District to and from school. Our secondary mission is to provide a reliable and cost effective means of transportation for extracurricular activities, athletic events, and other approved activities as directed by the School Board. Our drivers, monitors, shop technicians, administrators and support staff are committed to maintaining a work environment that is conducive to achieving this mission. We will always be mindful that serving students, parents and schools is our purpose, and we will conduct our business in a manner that serves them best.
- The Transportation Department employs 12 regular drivers who run 24 routes per day. Our 12 buses make 450 stops and cover over 700 route miles every day in transporting more than 600 students to and from school. In addition, there are approximately 300 trips run during the school year to various academic, cultural, and athletic events.
- Our total daily fleet of buses is equipped with two-way radios, and most regular buses also have video cameras. Bus inspections are conducted annually by trained city shop personnel and daily by each driver.
- School Bus Drivers hold Commercial Driver Licenses with Passenger and Student endorsements. They also have School Bus Driver Certificates issued by the Oregon Department of Education as well as First Aid Cards. Trainees undergo classroom instruction, as well as several hours of state-mandated supervised practice driving. As a condition of employment, all drivers are required to pass a physical screening, a criminal background check, and are subject to random mandatory drug/alcohol testing.
What is a Walking School Bus
School: (541) 938-8639
Transportation services will be provided for all resident elementary and middle school students who live more than one (1) mile from their assigned school and more than a mile and a half (1 ½) for high school students.
General Transportation Information
- Bus Rules & Regulations
- Activity Trip Rules & Regulations
- Student Responsibilities
- Parent/Guardian Responsibilities
- Oregon Administrative Rule 581-053-0010 - Bus Rules
- Inclement Weather